[fpc-pascal] Request for Win32 bootstrap compiler on ftp.freepascal.org/

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Jan 27 13:01:20 CET 2012

In our previous episode, Reinier Olislagers said:
> On ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/dist/2.6.0/bootstrap/ there are a
> lot of bootstrap compilers, but I miss a x86 Windows bootstrap compiler.

It is the responsibility of the platform maintainers to upload that.

That being said, for windows it makes less sense than for other platforms,
since the release also contains (possibly updated) binutils.

> Would it be possible to upload one, or can I use the 2.4.2 compiler to
> compile FPC 2.6.x/2.7.x sources on Windows?

It will probably work atm, but can stop to fail at any moment, so in general
I immediately update the bootstrap compiler if I notice it is not the
recommended version. Small effort, and avoids some confusion when it stops
working.

Anyway, since I had a win32 2.6.0 install on this system I zipped and
uploaded the exe.