[fpc-pascal] Advanced Records - Why not available by default?

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Sun Jan 15 14:11:44 CET 2012

Lars schrieb:
> Personally, I'm getting sick of all the new features added to delphi that
> don't add anything meaningful, and just add complexity to the compiler.
> why didn't borland just make people use old borland objects with methods
> instead of new advanced records? Old borland objects are advanced
> records..
>
> Ticking me off more: why do we even have objects and classes? what is an
> object? what are classes?  I would have preferred if borland would have
> just called old borland objects "Extended records" from day one. Now we
> have this feature overload in the language and it's becoming more and more
> complex of a language (needlessly). Objects, Classes, records.. aren't
> they all the same thing? I don't even personally buy the idea that objects
> even exist.. i think they are just extended records. What is an object? an
> instance of a class? if so, why did borland call the type definition
> "object" if it was supposed to be a class? Ugh. Ugly language - it is
> becoming - sorry to say!

I agree wholeheartly with you!!

Lots of nonsense is added that is already available otherwise (or only
saves some keystrokes).
In the past Pascal was an easy to learn (still powerfull) language.
Today the direction goes
into increased complexity as all the other languages and nobody realy
understands it anymore
so programmers code in a suboptimal manner more and more.

Some may say: You don't have to use it. That's true. But I am also no
longer able to read
foreign code (i.e. Lazarus program code) because all these strange
concepts are used there.