[fpc-pascal] installing FPC 2.6.0 on OS/2

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Fri Jan 13 18:24:25 CET 2012

On Fri, January 13, 2012 16:48, waldo kitty wrote:
> On 1/13/2012 05:40, Tomas Hajny wrote:
>> On Fri, January 13, 2012 11:27, waldo kitty wrote:
>>>
>>> i've a problem with os2260full... i bit the bullet and wiped my old os2
>>> 2.4.0(?? or 2.4.2???) install... now none of my projects compile...
>>> they
>>> complain about "Error: Can't call the assembler, error -1 switching to
>>> external assembling"...
 .
 .
>> This should be easy to fix (FAQ item, in fact ;-) ).
>
> really? i haven't found a FAQ document that covered this... at least
> nothing
> that was "in your face" with this specific problem... but maybe i don't
> know
> where to look :/

http://www.freepascal.org/faq.var#os2-as-failing (also available as
h:\fp\2.6.0\doc\faq.htm on your machine now ;-) ).

>> Nevertheless, in order to determine the reason, please do the following:
 .
 .
>> 2) Check your PATH and LIBPATH (especially the latter) settings to
>> contain
>> a reference to the DLL directory in your FPC installation.
>
> ahhh... now /THIS/ might be the ticket... when the install completed,
> there was
> a box on the screen that said to make sure that the PATH and LIBPATH
> contained
> the proper text and it specifically said what that text should be... so i
> dutifully copy'n'pasted it into the editor i had config.sys opened in...
> saved
> and closed everything and rebooted...
>
> when i looked at it just now, the LIBPATH is set to h:\fp\2.6.0\bin\dll
> when it
> should have been set to h:\fp\2.6.0\dll... i had noted this difference
> when i
> made the edit because it should have been a simple modification of the
> existing
> 2.4.2 entries...

Strange. Looking at the installer sources, I don't understand how it could
behave that way. I'll recheck it and let you know the results.

 .
 .
> the point of ready for someone to interact with it... OK, so now it gets
> further... the error now is "Error: Error while linking"...
>
> [time passes]
>
> ok, i figured out how to compile with -s and then i ran the ppas.cmd
> file... it
> apparently has completed successfully... i do have a bright shiny new exe
> file... now to figure out what's wrong with the normal way that fp does it
> as
> compared to the way fpc is doing it...

You may want to check the differences between fp.ini and fpc.cfg. Also, if
you have an OS/2 version of the tool 'which' (available e.g. from
http://silk.apana.org.au/utils.html or as an internal command within 4OS2
shell if you use that one), you might want to check a possible difference
in path returned for 'which as' and 'which ld'.

Tomas