[fpc-pascal] Re: FPCUnit without Lazarus

Luciano de Souza luchyanus at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 13:13:12 CET 2012

Now, I understand. FPCUnit and FPCRegistry do not have LCL dependences.
What depends on LCL is the runner called Console Runner. This name make
me confused!

I ahve alredy read the documentation, but I could not understand.
Perhaps, perhaps my weak english... Well, the fact is that everything is
now OK.

When I read the documentation I didn't understand the runner was a
separated executable: an application built specially to test my program.

I thought all the code needed to test my program would be in my test
unit. I was able to create, to register the tests, but not to run then.
I was searching something to run in FPCUnit and FPCRegister. All the
code  required to run my test would be in the initialization of my test
unit. When compiling my application I would do:

program MyApp;
uses
MyUnit,
{$ifdef tst}
MyUnitTest;
{$endif}

And I call: fpc MyApp.pas -dtest. According to this idea, the runner
would be my own application called with certain commandline options.

Yes, in my first reading, I do not understand it. Now I can see the
adopted model is best. I don't need to mix the code of my application
with test code. "{$ifdef ...}" is not required.

In brief, all my problem was that I could understand that I have a
runner and I will need to compile it each time I create a new project.

Solved my interpretation issues, now I am coming back to the tests.

Thank you very much for the attention!

Regards,

Luciano