[fpc-pascal] command for Linux for me to create fp ?

Pew (piffle.the.cat) piffle.the.cat at iinet.net.au
Sun Jan 16 18:27:20 CET 2011

Hi Robert,

On 01/17/2011 03:59 AM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Robert Wolfe wrote:
>> On 01/16/2011 11:03 AM, Pew (piffle.the.cat) wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am trying to build fp from 3.5.1 snapshot and I don't know what the
>>> command is.
>>>
>>> I have downloaded fpc-2.5.1.i386-linux.tar.gz and extracted to
>>> /juni/fpc and downloaded fpcbuild.zip and extracted to /juni/3.5.1/.
>>>
>>> I cannot find any instructions on how I can build fp from the source.
>>> What is the command for Linux for me to create fp ?
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>> pew
>>>

>> Pew, knowling how to build anything under linux is a fundamental skill
>> that's necessary to run linux. However, the usual way to build
>> binaries from source code is to run ./configure first from the source
>> code parent directory, then run make then run 'make install' as sudo.
>
> Robert, I'm not sure you're being helpful since FPC does not use
> ./configure.
>
> Peter, I do not claim to be an experienced builder and I usually work
> from a source release (currently 2.4.2) rather than from SVN so your
> mileage may vary.
>
> You will need the standard Linux binary utilities (as, ar, ld, make),
> how you get those depends on what distro you're using.
>
> cd ..../fpcsrc
> make NOGDB=1 clean all

This command worked.

> make install

This command did not work.

ls shows these files.

createbranch.sh
demo
fpcdocs
fpcsrc
install
logs
ls_result
Makefile
Makefile.fpc
readme.rev

sh ./createbranch.sh > temp1
gives this temp1 output.

Usage: createbranch.sh <branch/tag name>

Example: createbranch.sh branches/fixes_2_1
          createbranch.sh tags/release_2_0_4

This makes no sense to me at all. Can someone please explain this to me.

Best Regards,
pew