[fpc-pascal] The new Delphi 2010 RTTI

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Mon Jan 10 14:00:24 CET 2011

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> In our previous episode, michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be said:
>> The main problem is the Windows target where a library is more like a
>> self-contained exe. On Linux (and probably Mac OS), libraries already
>> work as packages are intended to work.
>
> Could you explain this?

A Delphi DLL on windows is roughly equivalent to a exe.
A fully contained binary, no dependencies.

We currently 'emulate' this on linux, in that we stuff the whole rtl and
whatnot in the library if one is created.

However, normally, on linux, libraries are a means of spreading code over
several libraries, i.e. if you create a library, you don't put libc in it,
you link to libc. This concept is closer to packages.

Michael.