[fpc-pascal] The new Delphi compatible unicode string

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 01:53:05 CET 2011

Marco van de Voort kirjoitti tiistai 04 tammikuu 2011 17:57:43:
> > No, my whole idea is to modernize the code and NOT support old versions.
>
> And what if it doesn't work? That is the whole problem. You can't as with
> other versions first migrate the code to roughly work on the new delphi
> (fix components etc), validate stability, and only then start using new
> functionality.
>
> D2009 is a watershed, and a painful one (even if the feature itself can be
> considered good, which I do)

Yes, string encoding in the HTML component I referred to is a challenge.
I haven't done such programs myself and now I try to figure out the best way
for a multi-platform Delphi + FPC version.

There are now 2 versions which will be maintained also in future. They are not
going away soon. Both projects have plans to modernize the code and then it
makes sense to do it in a collective new version. At the same go I would like
to make the code as modern as the tools allow.

Ideas for good string types are welcome.
The code should support both Delphi and FPC.

> > I am often questioning myself if it makes sense to use this historical
> > language.
>
> Me too. Trouble is that I don't see anything else in which I'm half as
> productive.

That is my experience, too.

Juha