[fpc-pascal] The new Delphi compatible unicode string

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Tue Jan 4 11:42:44 CET 2011

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011, Juha Manninen wrote:

> There are now 2 projects working on the same HTML component, one is HtmlPort
> by Phil Hess, one is HtmlViewer maintained in Google Code.
> I am trying to figure out the right way to modernize the code.
> There is an idea to support all string types in old Delphis and new Delphis
> and 3rd party Delphi Unicode libs and then FPC/Lazarus.
> The code is already full of IFDEFs and it would be even more so. Not good!
>

> This component would really benefit from the Delphi2009 default string type.
> All string encoding problems would be solved automatically.

That is simply not correct.

I am in the process of converting a D7 application to a D2010 application.
There are lots of string encoding problems, and none of them is solved
"automatically".

Furthermore, if you need to support both the old and new string type
(i.e. keep it compilable with older Delphi/FPC versions) you'll always
need IFDEFS in your code.

Michael.