[fpc-devel] TRegistry and Unicode

Bart bartjunk64 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 23:35:38 CET 2019

On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 5:56 PM Michael Van Canneyt
<michael at freepascal.org> wrote:

> It does not resolve a regression.
Yes, it does and I showed it here.

> The current behaviour is a bugfix for a reported bug.
And it did that the wrong way.
Calling Utf8Decode on a string without checking it is indeed Utf8
encoded is plain and simply wrong.

I may be totally wrong here, but form the discussion with you I get
that you find the String <-> UnicodeString conversions are wrong,
because they can cause data loss with strings not encode as UTF8.
On the other hand you argue that "The use case of a non-lazarus
command-line application is so minor that this can wait for a proper
solution for unicode."
The combination of these arguments does not make sense to me.
Lazarus programs will not suffer from dataloss in the
String<->UnicodeString conversions, because all strings in Lazarus are
UTF8 encoded.
The sample program in the bugreport that lead to this mess
(https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=32185), would also have been
solved without the Utf8Decode/Utf8Encode (the sample program is a
Lazarus GUI program, so it includes the Lazarus Utf8-hack).

AFAICS cutting out the Utf8Decode/Utf8Encode fixes a regression and
does not introduce a new regression: all this when compared to
behaviour in 3.0.4.

The net result of all of this discussion is that I am getting frustrated.

--
Bart