[fpc-devel] "Blank slate" next version of FPC

Ben Grasset operator97 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 04:48:48 CET 2019

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 3:33 PM Jonas Maebe <jonas at freepascal.org> wrote:

> As mentioned by others, that's not really something any of the current
> FPC developers are interested in working on. Martin Schreiber, however,
> was working on a project like that before he passed away

I don't want to speak ill of the dead, but I think you've *hugely*
misinterpreted his goals. Martin Schreiber was like the *ultimate* "Delphi
7 was perfect and nobody needs anything beyond its features" sort of
person. Basically the polar opposite of what you're saying. The sort of
person who really honestly thinks (or thought) that typecasting void
pointers back and forth is somehow preferable to just using generics
because generics are "bad" for some vague reason they can't explain, and
who openly stated that he never planned to add generics to his language
(which personally made me decide right then to not bother keeping up to
date with the development on it.)

His compiler code was / is just kind of an unreadable mess, to be perfectly
honest.