[fpc-devel] Vectorisation, optimisation etc.

Ben Grasset operator97 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 00:19:48 CEST 2019

On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 5:27 PM Jeppe Johansen <jeppe at j-software.dk> wrote:

> That can't happen or won't benefit much, before the compiler supports
> super-natual alignments. So there's a deeper level of support needed.

I'm fairly confident the existing functionality could be improved upon in a
useful way. Gareth has already done so in the past.

 On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 5:27 PM Jeppe Johansen <jeppe at j-software.dk> wrote:

> And personally I don't think that's the right long term direction. It
> takes a long time to develop and maintain this stuff and you never know
> what the market will look like in 10 years.
> ARM has SVE, and RISC-V has the upcoming vector extension which will move
> far away from the traditional SIMD stuff.

I sincerely doubt I will be using a RISC-V based desktop PC in 10 years.
Also nobody said -Sv could not also be extended to stuff such as ARM Neon
at some point down the line if someone was up to it. One thing at a time
though.

On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 5:27 PM Jeppe Johansen <jeppe at j-software.dk> wrote:

> Compiler support for block vectorization has rarely paid off really well
> given the amount of work that needs to go into it. So maybe it's better to
> wait for the next iteration :)

It very objectively pays off in every compiler that has it. I don't think
"it's too hard" is a good excuse. I made my previous comment because it
seems like Gareth if anyone specifically does *not* think it is too hard.