[fpc-devel] Kit's ambitions!

Christo christo.crause at gmail.com
Sun May 13 21:02:01 CEST 2018

On Sun, 2018-05-13 at 03:28 +0100, J. Gareth Moreton wrote:
>  Expand on Data Flow Analysis in the compiler.
>
> What I personally call the "Deep Optimizer", I'm proposing an assembler-level optimisation
> system (although it won't touch pure assembler routines) that rearranges commands and changes
> registers in order to minimise pipeline stalls and to also collapse a "div" and "mod"
> operation into a single instruction where possible.

I would also like the data flow analyzer to look at inline assembler and emit hints and warnings
if it picks up something incoherent.

> - Research possibility for 'inline' support for certain assembler routines.

This has been requested before and the argument against this was that it is difficult to predict
side effects of assembler routines.  I suppose if data flow analysis doesn't pick up side
effects then it would be a useful feature.

I'm not a developer, but want to encourage your efforts.