[fpc-devel] Proposal for 2 new compiler functions

Wolf wv99999 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 02:56:22 CEST 2018

On 13/06/2018 11:07, J. Gareth Moreton wrote:
> Well, I would argue that when computing log(x) of any base, as x tends
> to 0 from a positive number, log(x) becomes a progressively more
> negative number to the point that, yes, it's undefined, but that's
> only going by the definition of limits.
>
> The issue here is that my proposed logarithm functions work not on
> floating-point numbers, but integers, primarily for the sake of speed
> and application.  There is no way to store a NaN or plus or minus
> infinity in an integral type, which means the only other option is to
> raise an exception.
That's why I am willing to withdraw my objections, as stated, the moment
you remove log from the function name. What you want to use is a
function of your own design, with value mappings different from what a
logarithm does. My objection is not about your optimization work, it is
about potential mis-use of your work, and mis-understandings by any
future maintainer of your work.
Wolf

> For truly mathematical functions with a continuous domain, then yes,
> it should return proper values.  I suppose what I'm proposing is not
> the true base-2 logarithm, but two functions that do the following:
>
> FLog2(x), x element of N (natural numbers), including zero
>
> 0, x = 0
> floor(log2(x)); x ≠ 0
>
> CLog2(x), x element of N, including zero
>
> 0, x = 0
> ceil(log2(x)); x ≠ 0
>
> (Not easy to describe when you can't use proper mathematical notation
> in an e-mail!)
>
> In this instance, it's less about mathematical correctness and more
> for the sake of convenience, because only a single input (zero) would
> be undefined, and for the sake of bit lengths and loop iterations, 0
> is a more convenient value than throwing an exception or returning
> something undefined or potentially hazardous like $FFFFFFFF, which if
> passed blindly into a for-loop, will cause 4.29 billion iterations..
I understand that, and if you want to use a Bit Scan Reverse
instruction, use it. But do not call it a logarithm, because that has
implications . . .  Take a look at the *[fpc-pascal] round(2.5)=2*
thread. Why is nobody there suggesting to look for Intel to sort out his
/her rounding issues? That thread displays the kind of blindness I am
concerned about. The answers are available, but hidden in massive
documentation, as you yourself noticed so recently.
Wolf