[fpc-devel] Why/how does the compiler have a non-trivialnumberofmemory leaks after over two decades of development?

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Mon Jul 30 15:05:11 CEST 2018

 Yeah, I realised after I said that that keeping programs resident is very
different from a memory leak!  Still, it's still very good practice to do
your own clean-up, especially as you described below.  Embedding a
compiler DLL into Lazarus would allow for much more interaction.

 Gareth aka. Kit

 On Mon 30/07/18 14:57 , Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org sent:

 On Mon, 30 Jul 2018, J. Gareth Moreton wrote:

 > I would say that that's a little naïve and dangerous to think like
that.
 > Sure, Windows might have the means to clean up memory after an
application
 > terminates, but not all platforms have such heap deallocation features
 > (e.g. pure DOS, where certain procedures and interrupts remain in memory

 > even after the application terminates... so-called memory-resident
 > programs).

 The compiler is not such program. You obviously need to choose for which
 programs you do this.

 But having the memory freed properly would also enable the use of the
compiler
 as a DLL in e.g. Lazarus.

 Michael.

Links: