[fpc-devel] End of support for Win XP?

Werner Pamler werner.pamler at freenet.de
Thu Feb 1 09:37:26 CET 2018

Am 30.01.2018 um 22:40 schrieb Florian Klämpfl:
> Am 29.01.2018 um 21:11 schrieb Russell Davies:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just curious, does the use of SHGetKnownFolderPath() in trunk package winunits-base in fpttf.pp mean
>> the end of Windows XP support as this function is not available in XP's shell32.dll
> Probably yes, at least with the release of 3.2.0. After all, Win XP is almost for 4 years out of
> support. But if somebody decides to stick with Win XP, he can stick also with FPC 3.0.x, it will not
> stop working.

I am absolutely no friend of shutting down support for old versions too
early, in particular if it's for the reason of determining the Windows
font directory. Why is it necessary to use SHGetKnownFolderPath for this
purpose? In the times before Vista, this was done by SHGetFolderPath. In
https://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/library/windows/desktop/bb762188(v=vs.85).aspx
Microsoft says "This function replaces SHGetFolderpath. That older
function is now simply a wrapper for SHGetKnownFolderPath." I interpret
this that SHGetFolderPath still can be used.