[fpc-devel] Broken frac function in FPC3.1.1 / Windows x86_64

wkitty42 at windstream.net wkitty42 at windstream.net
Sat Apr 28 14:19:52 CEST 2018

On 04/28/2018 07:01 AM, Thorsten Engler wrote:
> The effects of code alignment beyond a granularity of 16 on such short code is interesting:
>
> Code address:
> Frac1: 0000000000536430 (48)
> Frac2: 0000000000536480 (0)
> Frac3: 00000000005364D0 (80)
> Frac4: 0000000000536520 (32)
> Frac5: 0000000000536570 (112)
> Frac6: 00000000005365C0 (64)
> Frac7: 0000000000536610 (16)
> Frac8: 0000000000536660 (96)

[...]
> The number in () after the address is address mod 128.
>
> It's interesting to see that for this particular code (and CPU) the "good" ones are 0, 32, and 96, but NOT 64. I'm sure the results are highly dependent on the CPU.

why not 64? the pattern looks to be bad,good,bad,good,bad,good,bad,good but i'm
very likely missing something...

also, not only highly dependent on the CPU but also on what other processes may
be running and consuming some CPU time... i'm not even sure that booting linux
to "single" mode would get you a system completely dedicated to one task like in
the old DOS world...