[fpc-devel] Wrong docs: not initialized global variables

Ondrej Pokorny lazarus at kluug.net
Wed Apr 4 18:44:34 CEST 2018

On 04.04.2018 17:49, Jonas Maebe wrote:
> On 04/04/18 10:47, Ondrej Pokorny wrote:
>> I would lower the level of notification for "trivial: string" to a
>> hint. It is nonsense to emit the same level of notification (warning)
>> for dangerous code ("serious: integer") and valid code ("trivial:
>> string").
>>
>> Warnings are something to care about, the "trivial: string" case is not.
>
> The warnings for managed types have a different ID now. Hence, you can
> already disable them separately if you want.

Please do not mix different things. I know that - and yes I read the bug
report you kindly provided a link to, where this was discussed. I did
not state I cannot disable them separately.

I want to stress that the compiler emits a warning on code that does not
have (and also cannot have) an error - even on other platforms and
targets. A warning is a level too high. A hint or maybe even a note is
more appropriate here:
https://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/user/usersu13.html#x36-430005.1.2

E.g. The Lazarus/LCL code may not emit any warnings (we fix them) but we
don't care much about hints and notes. Because of this warning I have to
change a perfectly defined and flawless code.

Ondrej