[fpc-devel] FPC for FreeBSD/PowerPC

Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR) charlie at scenergy.dfmk.hu
Thu Aug 10 12:53:59 CEST 2017

Hi,

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017, Curtis Hamilton wrote:

> I just formally subscribed to this mailing list.
>
> I'm interested in fpc on FreeBSD/PowerPC, however, I don't want to
> create any additional work nor break something that's not broken. That
> being said, I'm willing to work on this alone or with anyone who is also
> interested. My personal work target is for PowerPC 64-bit (Power Mac
> G5), I do have 32-bit PowerPC (Power Mac G4) hardware available to me.
> FreeBSD runs on G4 and G5 Power Macs.
>
> FYI, I did the work on getting native java (OpenJDK8) support on powerpc64.

That sounds cool, welcome on board. The starting point would be this wiki
article about how to add a new target to the compiler, which would be
necessary for system_powerpc_freebsd and system_powerpc64_freebsd:

http://wiki.freepascal.org/Porting_Free_Pascal

Which is slightly obsolete, and it doesn't really cover the RTL part, but
the main points are still the same to do the first steps. Of course, you
have to take care that the compiler and libs sort of already works on
FreeBSD, so only implement the CPU specific parts, or include
PowerPC/PowerPC64 into the lists where necessary. It's nothing rocket
science. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask, also feel free
to send patches for review and upstream inclusion.

Cheers,
--
Charlie