[fpc-devel] Closures / anonymous methods

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 24 19:38:07 CET 2016

On 31.10.2016 14:58, Blaise at blaise.ru wrote:
> On 31.10.2016 5:30, Zoƫ Peterson wrote:
>
>> We do need it in FPC proper though, not New Pascal
>
> I was going to ask you to clarify that; thanks.
>
>> Blaise, I'm fine settling up with you if Maciej takes over. Is there a
>> foreseeable schedule for you finishing if he doesn't?
>
> I am ready to allocate a week or two from my schedule in the next month
> for this, but:

Sorry for the long delay. I didn't want to answer this on my phone and
it had taken a while till I remembered that I wanted to answer this
while being in front of my desktop computer... mea culpa

> 1) I would like a general commitment from the decision-makers to include
> this. By that I mean A) they want the feature, B) they are ready, in
> concept, to accept this patch (it may not implement the full support,
> but it fully implements the core and hardest aspects), provided that we
> work out the easy details (how to name stuff, where to put it, and
> blocking bugs -- should we find any).

Yes, to both A and B.

> 2) I would like a commitment from at least one of the committers to work
> closely with me during that period on resolving issues that prevent
> merging. And by that I mean to be ready to react to my changes/questions
> within a day/two/three (not a month) as we both go through the list item
> by item.

That might be the biggest hurdle as this is after all a voluntary
project and how one organizes one's free time is a topic in itself...
That said I'll be at home next week due to a vacation and my hope is
that I'll be able to work on a couple of FPC topics that are still open.

> Provided that we agree on the two above points, I believe we can have it
> merged by the end of November.
>
> Not a hard requirement, but, additionally, it would be nice if your
> staff (at Scooter Software), or someone on this mailing list, took over
> the formal tests (writing, running, integration).

Tests are very important indeed.

Regards,
Sven