[fpc-devel] The (near) future of strings

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Mar 7 20:25:13 CET 2016

On Mon, 7 Mar 2016, Florian Klämpfl wrote:

> I hope somebody implements this in fpmake :) My "subarch" directory approach needed by several
> targets is already on hold for years as I do not owe to touch fpmake regarding this.

I don't understand why ?
Why would you not touch fpmake for this ? It's just adding a level of directories ?

> I also do not see any use in split directories for dotted and non-dotted: people messing with the
> default namespaces can also mess with -Fu. And messing with two variables (default namespaces and
> -Fu) is normally even worse than having only one variable.

Technically, you can of course throw everything in 1 directory.

But having 2 trees keeps things clear, tidy and separate.
In case of problems, the cause will be much easier to determine.

I have a build system at work.

In theory I could clean the directories on startup, build and be done with it.
In practice, I create a directory per version of the project at build time,
and build in that. Works fine, all clear, no stray files. If there is a
problem, it's usually quickly determined.

I do the same for FPC, btw.

Michael.