[fpc-devel] Random thread-safe

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Jan 28 18:19:31 CET 2016

Jonas Maebe wrote:

>> Would it make sense to you to make random thread-safe? E.g. with the
>> use of "threadvar" instead of "var" for the global variables in question?
>
> No. The Mersenne twister has a lot of state (about 2KB). Duplicating
> this for every thread, along with associated slowdown, is not worth it.
> It's better to use a class that encapsulates the state of a random
> number generator and then instantiate this class for every thread.

Could I ask for clarification of this please. Are you saying that
Random() will crash if called simultaneously by multiple threads, or
that it will return suboptimal results?

If, as an example, I have two threads doing network or comms jobs and I
want to introduce jitter in the retries, does that mean that I have to
put Random() into a critical section?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk