[fpc-devel] Generics.Collections as package for Lazarus or package for FPC RTL

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 27 11:26:28 CET 2016

Am 27.01.2016 09:11 schrieb "Maciej Izak" <hnb.code at gmail.com>:

>> I'm definitely not a fan of the manual interface building it does,
because I don't want to have to maintain that, just in case we change some
implementation detail in FPC that this unit happens to rely on, maybe even
only in a subtle way. No performance gain is worth this potential
maintenance nightmare.

> But what is your point? I don't have any problem with maintenance that
and I can adjust this in the future if needed :P. Interfaces are stable
part of language. If something will be changed in that matter then all
existing codebase will be broken, not only for Generics.Defaults.

That is not true. Your code relies on implementation details. All other
code that uses interfaces as they are supposed to be used will continue to
work correctly after a recompile.

> Did you plan to implement better way than "manual interfaces" for
_LookupVtableInfo, _LookupVtableInfoEx in Generics.Defaults? I won't
rewrite well tested parts of library.

And I don't want to add code that relies on implementation details like
that! At least not without thinking through the implications of that code.

> Just let me know what is your plan. If you wan't it in FPC RTL then it
will became part of sparta packages in Lazarus. The current stalemate is
blocking my job. Any predictable timeline? If it will take you another year
ot two, then better solution is putting it in components/sparta.

Even if I'd add them now it would be at least half a year for them to
appear in a stable release if we merge them to fixes_3_0 (which is not a
given!). And if not it would probably be at least 2 years till the next
major release.

Regards,
Sven