[fpc-devel] Add {$I %DATETIME%}

Denis Kozlov dezlov at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 16:35:27 CET 2016

On 23 February 2016 at 11:57, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> 1. The TDateTime format is not a basic format of the language.
>    It is an agreement on how to encode date/time information in a double.

If I understand this point correctly, you are concerned about
"FloatToStr(Now)" statement, where compiler is explicitly treating
TDateTime as a floating point value.

This creates a problem *only* if base type of TDateTime is changed to
something other than a floating point value, a record for example. Is it
foreseeable that TDateTime will change its base type? In such case I
presume there would be some serious breakage in RTL.

2. Some targets do not even have floats.

This feature can be IFDEF'ed.

P.S. I'm intrigued and curious about such subtleties. Forgive my ignorance
if this makes no sense.

Denis