[fpc-devel] Resourcestrings and encodings

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Tue Sep 29 00:30:48 CEST 2015

Hi,

In January 2014, the compiler started using a new format to export
resource string (.rsj instead of .rst). The main advantage was that this
format exported the resourcestrings as UTF-16.

Unfortunately, this did not work properly if a source file's code page
was set to UTF-8. "Fortunately", due to another a bug in rstconv, on
Unix platforms (and other systems with codepage ISO-8859-1), the
generated resource files did contain proper UTF-8 data in the end.

Last week, we got a bug report about this (see the "Resourcestrings in
FPC 3.0" thread on the fpc-pascal list). Normally, this would have been
way too late to still fix for the next release. However, given the
severity and the fact that this is a regression for previously working
functionality, we will probably include it. This means that there
definitely will be an FPC 3.0 RC2 before the final release.

However, I would already like to ask everyone that uses resource strings
to check FPC trunk r31881 or later with their program to ensure it still
works correctly, and also try the changed rstconv utility. See
http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=28717#c86146 for information
about its default behaviour and new feature.

This is mainly to ensure it doesn't take another 1.5 years before the
bugs are found, and to avoid the need for an RC3.

Thanks,

Jonas