[fpc-devel] Pascal Standard, and what we can do.

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 20 08:03:28 CEST 2015

Am 19.07.2015 23:43 schrieb "Ralf Quint" <freedos.la at gmail.com>:
> Now today, I do not necessarily agree with the direction Embarcadero
heading these days with Delphi and most importantly (for me), I do not
agree with all those attempts to add "features" of other languages to Free
Pascal. I appreciate the efforts of the folks involved in Free Pascal for a
long time, as this provides me with the opportunity to keep working in the
programming language/environment that for me makes the most sense and that
I am used to for 38 years. And I honestly loath to see that people argue
that there should be new language constructs and such, just because it is
what more popular programming languages provide. I am not in to participate
in a popularity contest, I am trying to get work done...

The way we write software evolves however. Things that were thought as
state of the art 25 years ago aren't necessarily nowadays (for example
procedural programming that has been mostly superseded by object oriented
programming). And in this regards programming languages are like natural
languages: they evolve, they change. If a language doesn't evolve anymore
it can be considered dead (e.g. Latin, Ancient Greek).
So I personally support the addition of new features to FPC as long as they
don't interfere with backwards compatibility and fit into the language as a
whole.

Regards,
Sven