[fpc-devel] llvm merge

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Wed Apr 8 09:51:18 CEST 2015

Louis Salkind wrote on Wed, 08 Apr 2015:

> I am really happy to see this work moving forward.  I think it is a
> great direction for the project.

Direction is probably not the right word. It's no more a direction for
the FPC project than adding support for AArch64, MSDOS or extended
RTTI are. It's just an extra, optional, feature. And given the LLVM
project's focus on features over backward compatibility, a too tight
coupling between Clang and LLVM (formally they're separate libraries,
but in practice implementation details leak through all over the
place) and that they release way more often than we do, you'll
probably have to stick to a select few LLVM versions when using it
with FPC. Just to say that it won't be a miracle solution, and that it
comes with its own share of downsides and limitations.

> Unfortunately, though, revision 30351 (the first point at which the
> llvm branch was reintroduced) has broken my code on Windows 64.
> Things are working fine though on 32 bit Windows and Linux.
>
> I am in the process of trying to track this down now (and if I can I
> will report it as a bug), but in the meantime I was wondering if
> anybody else had experienced a similar issue?

I've seen you've filed the bug report in the mean time. It's probably
an alignment issue with the data emitted for widestrings. I'll look
into it some time this week.

Jonas