[fpc-devel] Suggestion: reference counted objects

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Mon Sep 22 14:19:16 CEST 2014

On 09/22/2014 07:52 AM, Sven Barth wrote:

> I openly *hate* the attribute syntax. It's just not Pascal and simply
> copied from their .Net compiler, because hey, other .Net compilers do
> that just like that... -.-

Maybe instead of attribute appropriate base classes could be provided.

E.g. a (maybe fake) class "TRefCountedObject" that can be used instead
of TObject to inherit from.

TRefCountedObject could provide the necessary properties and trigger
some compiler magic that uses them (similar to when using a class
derived from TInterfacedObject) and doing interface related syntax).

(Maybe in a similar line, "fake" base classes like "TRecord" and
"TOldStyleObject" could trigger compiler magic to construct appropriate
functionally compatible types to overcome the legacy (for me: fuzzy)
paradigms "Record" and "old style Object", keeping the goodies, avoiding
the quirks.)

-Michael