[fpc-devel] Small virtual machine to cross compile FPC

Paul Breneman Paul2006 at BrenemanLabs.com
Fri Oct 31 17:30:07 CET 2014

On 10/31/2014 12:02 PM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014, Paul Breneman wrote:
>
>> On 10/27/2014 06:09 PM, Paul Breneman wrote:
>>> I've spent a bit of time during the past 7 years trying to figure out
>>> how to simplify things by avoiding cross-compiling.  This page has many
>>> of the details:
>>>    http://turbocontrol.com/monitor.htm
>>>
>>> I think there is a way to simplify cross-compiling.  Levinux is a small
>>> (~20 MB) QEMU download for x86 PCs (Windows, OS X, Linux) that provides
>>> a small Tiny Core Linux VM.  I'd like to see something similar but with
>>> all the files and tools needed to pull the latest source code and
>>> cross-compile FPC (also with Debian instead of Tiny Core?).
>>>    http://mikelev.in/ux/
>>>
>>> It seems to me that such a small VM should allow a nice standard method
>>> that will make it easy to test and see things work.
>>>
>>> I look forward to your thoughts and comments!
>>
>> I'm not suggesting a single VM for multiple uses.
>>
>> How hard would it be to make a small VM (~100 MB with Debian?)  that
>> will run on a x86 PC and download FPC and Lazarus source (trunk) and
>> configure Lazarus for Android development?
>
> I think 100Mb is a bit small.
> You'll need cross-binutils, X, cross-dev libs and whatnot.
>
> 650Mb would be feasable, I guess.

Thanks for that info, but couldn't most of that be download into the VM
*after* it is running?  Seems to me I'd like the *smallest* VM and then
have a way to load things into that standard PC.  But maybe I'm thinking
wrongly?  If so please help me get it right.

I've looked at (or tried) laz4android and fpcup.  Seems that such an
approach would work much better on a "standard" PC?