[fpc-devel] Proof of Concept ARC implementation

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 29 14:03:18 CET 2014

On 28.10.2014 09:57, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> Sven Barth schrieb:

>>> Where would this matter? When TObject and TManagedObject are
>>> different (base) types, a direct assignment of references is impossible.
>> Take unit Typinfo for example where quite some methods take a TObject
>> instance.
>
> The TypInfo methods can determine the exact type of their arguments, and
> act inside accordingly.

If you have a method X that takes a TObject parameter how do you plan to
pass it a reference counted object when these and TObject are not
compatible *at compiletime*?

> IMO Delphi versions don't offer backwards compatibility for good
> reasons, instead a purchased licencse allows to *also* use all older
> versions, down to D7. What I'm missing here are bugfixes, because the
> development of older versions is almost stopped as soon as a new version
> is distributed. Known bugs are mostly fixed only in newer versions,
> which introduce new bugs and features at the same time - good for sales
> but bad for the customers. Since FPC/Lazarus are open source, user
> groups may offer continued support for their preferred version(s), by
> backporting bugfixes into these versions.

We are not Embarcadero. We don't get money for providing FPC, we do it
for free. And we aren't a big team like Mozilla (who get paid anyway, so
back to square one). So it's natural that we're going to choose the
route with the least maintenance burden, but the most compatibility (and
providing long term supported releases *is* a burden). It's not easy to
find this compromise, but we're trying...

Regards,
Sven