[fpc-devel] Trying to understand the wiki-Page "FPC Unicode support"

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Nov 27 10:51:35 CET 2014

On 11/26/2014 07:54 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> Delphi XE does not properly support UTF-8.
That is what I supposed. Of course the developers at Embarcadero did not
need to think about portability to other OSes than Windows when crafting
the concept.

But obviously fpc needs proper support for UTF-8, as it is constructed
to do decent programs for Linux OS. Hence I did suppose/hope that in fpc
the code-page aware string type implementation would be versatile enough
to support any ANSI code page, UTF-8 and UTF-16 (LE and BE), and be
extensible to support for e.g UTF-32 (plus an additional fully dynamic
String "brand").

Thanks for your explanations,
-Michael