[fpc-devel] ThousandSeparator

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Nov 25 20:12:31 CET 2014

In our previous episode, Michael Van Canneyt said:
> > The ThousandSeparator is "char" and supports only 1 byte characters.
> > For example French and Russian need more.
> > Are there any plans to extend it?
>
> Plans: yes. Time: no.
>
> Maybe a widechar is sufficient ?

If you start changing the encoding of formatsettings (to something else than
whatever "string" is, you get a lot of conversions. Even to just print a
number you get thousandseparator (multiple times), decimal separator etc.

I think biting the bullet and making it a string is better long term. If we
ever target a different "string" it will also break less code.