[fpc-devel] UTF8 RTL

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Nov 21 10:44:13 CET 2014

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014, Michael Schnell wrote:

> On 11/21/2014 09:53 AM, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>> The versatile string type is vaporware. There is no designdocument,
>
> Do you want me to create a document ? I could easily do it.
>
> But as it would need compiler magic to work with, I don't have any chance to
> do the necessary patches. So I think it would be not nice at all to force any
> documentation on you without intending to do the work myself.

Your argument for not doing something is at fault.

I understand that you cannot some of the work involved. Neither can I.
But if you don't specify clearly what you want, we definitely cannot work on it.
(it is VaporWare as Marco puts it)

By creating for example an entry in the wiki, you achieve at least 2 goals:
1. There is a concrete spec to work with (if work ever starts).
2. You invite people to think about it and comment on it.

Yes, it may be so that you create an entry which no-one will ever work on.
This is always a possibility, and it is in a sense 'work wasted', but
that is the danger of investing your time.

But as it is, without anything for anyone to work with, your ideas are simply
dead-born childs.

Michael.