[fpc-devel] Proof of Concept ARC implementation

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 20 07:45:36 CET 2014

On 20.11.2014 00:08, hinstance wrote:
> I dunno. Just wanted to see if it is going to work with implicit
> exceptions turned off. I rather dance around and fix memory leaks when
> they appear than have implicit try-except block in every procedure.

1. they are try-finally blocks
2. then you'll have to add try-except blocks and leave the procedure
without error as otherwise the compiler generated decrement calls aren't
executed

> did measurements once; found out that each try-except adds increases
> stack usage by about 60 bytes each.

That's the size of the buffer used for setjump. On Win64 in 2.7.1 this
size is 0 and in Win32 with 2.7.1 and the compiler compiled with
TEST_WIN32_SEH it should be smaller as well. For any other target we'll
need another exception handling mechanism (DWARF/Itanium exception
handling).

Regards,
Sven