[fpc-devel] "fpc -h" and "fpc -i"

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 10:27:07 CET 2014

On Sunday, November 9, 2014, Dmitry Boyarintsev <skalogryz.lists at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Pardon me, but I actually opposed the idea to put any kind of changes to
> FPC help system.
> My reasoning - it would be an additional and annoying burden to fpc-team.
> As bug reports showing, help is not in sync with compiler features already.
>
> The suggestion was to have a separate machine-readable file description
> (that could be updated separately from the compiler), so the IDE would be
> up-to-date on the compiler features.
> Which end up in this package: http://wiki.freepascal.org/cmdlinecfg

Sorry, my bad. We had a long discussion about this subject, Mattias thought
the info about FPC options should be maintained in FPC project. I agreed
because it is quite logical and makes sense. Why should help info about FPC
options be maintained by some other project?
Now I remember you planned this external file + a GUI in a package. I
twisted your plan so that the file should be offered to FPC project.

Now it seems that my parser could became quite robust if "fpc -h" output is
consistent.
It can still later be replaced by your file + GUI if it brings extra
benefits.
We can discuss it later.

Juha