[fpc-devel] cpstrrtl/unicode branch merged to trunk

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 9 14:34:38 CEST 2013

Am 09.09.2013 14:25, schrieb Michael Schnell:
> On 09/07/2013 03:00 PM, Sven Barth wrote:
>>
>> We do NOT want to force UnicodeString upon every target. The world
>> not only consists of Windows!
>
> +1 !
>
> Of course a compiler switch to not use the "NewStrings" would be
> appropriate.
>
> OTOH IMHO it should be possible to in fact use the "NewStrings" in
> Linux with a default encoding of UTF8.
Please get your terms right (I already wrote you this in July!). Those
"NewStrings" are already used on every target that uses Ansistrings as
Ansistrings *are* these "NewStrings". What Delphi 2009 changed was that
String=UnicodeString by default instead of String=AnsiString (and at the
same time they also introduced the "NewStrings" aka code page aware
AnsiString). The UnicodeString type is however not code page aware and
is always UTF-16.

Regards,
Sven