[fpc-devel] Is target mips-embedded possible / planned?

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu May 23 10:10:05 CEST 2013

On 05/22/2013 10:59 PM, Michel Catudal wrote:

> Not true. When debugging an AVR32 gdb is called avr32-gdb, a pic32 gdb would be called pic32mx-gdb. avr32-gdb talks to avr32gdbproxy for debugging and avr32program for programming. You could have a gdb version that talks directly thru jtag if you would spend the time writing it. You cannot use the on board gdb to debugger a foreign processor.

That in fact is exactly what I meant to say. AFAI understand, these are
"cross-gdbs", running on the PC, but compiled for supporting a "foreign"
arch via some kind of interface (e.g. a programming adapter). But they
are full gdb's being accessed by a command line interface. OTOH a
"gdb-server" (or "stub") runs on the target device (that might be a
different arch) and is to be accessed via a pipe interface by a "full"
gdb program on a PC that - again - provides the command line interface
that can be accessed by a Terminal or by Eclipse and friends.

> gdb has to be compiled for the target otherwise it will only support
> local opcodes .
Yep.

-Michael