[fpc-devel] Is target mips-embedded possible / planned?

Michel Catudal mcatudal at comcast.net
Wed May 15 23:35:23 CEST 2013

Le 2013-05-15 04:36, Michael Ring a écrit :
> Hi Michel!
>
> You are talking about integrating mips into your debugger, what does this mean? Are you talking about Setedit or something else?
>
> Michael

Mips to debug PIC32. I was looking at first at the Rasphberry pi, I may do that or use an Odroid U2 with the little remote IO thru USB  that uses a PIC. For the AVR32 I will probably need to use the debugger JTAGICE thru Scientific Linux. Raspberry pi is
nice that it has gpios but its graphic speed sucks. Odroid U2 might be great with the little remote IOs, don't know yet, I may end up using the Odroid X2 which has direct access to GPIOs. If I could get setedit working on the console without X that would
be good enough on the Raspberry pi, I haven't been able to do that yet. It wants X. It actually works nicely with ssh as it uses the host X.

I work mostly with AVR32 UC3C because of my work in the automotive industry, but the PIC32 is looking more and more interesting. As you can see on my web page I have a C Compiler for the PIC32 with no limitation on optimization, it is basically done with a
released source code from Microchip with the code that limits it removed. It lacks library but you can easily use the ones that Microchip has.

Personnally I usually prefer to do my own. What I plan to do on the PIC32 is basically what I am doing on the AVR32, is doing the modules outside of the compiler. There are too many parts so it will be easier to have the compiler being somewhat generic and
have the startup code on the side of the application. The libraries would not be the same package as the compiler but an addon.

Right now there is a serious bug on the pascal compiler development that keeps my AVR32 implementation from compiling and that kind of stalls my progress. It crashes when it is time to compile the RTL. That is using the development tree.
It compiled OK with the 2.6.0 release.

I have found a very interesting thing as I was trying to get fpc to compile for hard float on odroid U2. That is done on funtoo.
I have created my own Linux installation on my odroid U2, it is funtoo hard float. I have even installed the mali 3D driver for X.
I have created the Mate Desktop, actually running smootly. I got lazarus to work nicely this past sunday, hardware float. I installed funtoo on a 32G MicroSD card. I have yet to get the mali EGL to work with my funtoo. When using Ubuntu I can play movies
from an external 200G hard disk connected on the  USB  port.

When I used the fpcbuild.zip snapshot it would crash when starting to compile the RTL, much like it does for my AVR32 pascal compiler.
On the other hand when I use the fpc.zip snapshot it compiles beautifully and lazarus works great. I did have to copy the source to where lazarus wanted it. Something in the full package breaks the compiling for RTL.

Michel

--
For Linux Software visit
http://home.comcast.net/~mcatudal