[fpc-devel] Delphi anonymous methods

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Mar 5 08:55:54 CET 2013

On Tue, 5 Mar 2013, Sven Barth wrote:

> Am 05.03.2013 04:55 schrieb "Paul Ishenin" <ip at kmiac.ru>:
> >
> > 04.03.2013 18:29, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> >
> >> I chose the latter. Compatibility. All the way. No compromise.
> >>
> >> Is it pure? No. Is it perfect? No. Is it better than the alternative? Yes.
> >>
> >> Currently FPC is much dirtier than Delphi if only because it has two
> >> implementations for everything.
> >

> > I'm totally agree. 2 implementations complicates the compiler and complicates the use of the compiler. Component developers
> and those who plant to port their delphi projects will not use objfpc mode if it will not be delphi compatible.

Of course not.

The whole idea of objfpc mode is that it is *not* Delphi compatible.
If it had to be Delphi compatible, we would not have had to introduce it.

It aims to give the same functionality Delphi offers, but implemented in
what FPC developers consider a proper 'Object Pascal' way.

> ObjFPC mode is not compatible with mode Delphi, because of conscious decisions. Think for example about the "@" for procedure
> variable assignments here or the use of symbolic operator names for overload declarations, instead of words like Delphi did it.
> And generics are a further example.

Exactly.

Michael.