[fpc-devel] "embedded" again

Thomas Schatzl tom_at_work at gmx.at
Mon Jan 21 20:17:12 CET 2013

Hi,

On Mon, 2013-01-21 at 17:27 +0100, Bernd Mueller wrote:
> Thomas Schatzl wrote:
> >>
> >> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/armel/fp-compiler/download ->
> >> http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/f/fpc/fp-compiler_2.4.0-2_armel.deb
> >>
> >> so I supposed it would contain the necessary stuff for all supported
> >> flavors. But maybe I did not look hard enough.
> >
> > Armel means armv5te softfp for fpc as the name of the package indicates.
>
> shouldn't the compiler work for ARMv4(T) ARM architectures as well?

Armv4(t) is supported by the compiler - just like any other of the
hundreds of supported ARM configurations - but the fpc team relies on
bug reports (as usual, preferably with fix) from the community for them.
Nobody is going to intentionally break or remove support for them.

On the other hand, arm/linux the machines that actually run and test the
compiler daily include armv5te/softfp (fixes+trunk), armv7a/vfpv3
(trunk) and armv7a/armhf (trunk) only.

So if some breaking change creeps in, it will be detected the next day
and fixed immediately (in theory :)

>From these, snapshots for only the first and last variants are put on
the ftp.

Hth,