[fpc-devel] Install fpc and Friends on a non-Debian ARM-Linux Device

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Jan 21 13:17:52 CET 2013

Michael Schnell wrote:
> Hi experts. (Beware: long explanation trying to help those ho try
> something similar. A question is asked at the end.)
>
> I am trying to install, test and run fpc programs on a QNAP 219 P II NAS.
>
> Same is a headless ARM-Linux device. With 512 MB RAM and It has enough
> resources to even run Lazarus in a remote GUI environment.
>
> But first I tried to install and use fpc.
>
> Here the initial problem is, that the device uses a mildly QNAP
> propriety Linux distribution. Same comes with installation tools for
> it's own package format (".qpkg") moreover you can install Optware
> ".ipkg" packages, as there is a qpkg for Optware. .
>
> But for fpc there is neither a qpkg not an ipkg package. AFAIK for ARM
> there only is an Debian "apt-get" package for fpc and friends. Same is
> said to happily be useable on a "Raspberry Pi" with similar resources as
> the QNAP 219 P II.
>
> So I tried to find the appropriate ".deb" files
>
> I found the downloadable Debian package here:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/armel/fp-compiler/download ->
> http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/f/fpc/fp-compiler_2.4.0-2_armel.deb
>

> I could extract the content doing
..
> Works !!!!

I've done that sort of thing between e.g. SPARC systems, but not really
attempted it on ARM where there are more variants. I think the thing I'd
do at this point is see if I could compile 2.6.0 on the target system...
you might need (the equivalent of Debian's) development packages * .

Having got 2.6.0, and again with the requirement of having development
packages ** , you should be able to compile Lazarus.

* libgpm-dev libncurses5-dev

** libgtk2.0-dev plus possible dependencies.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk