[fpc-devel] Install FPC and GUI on a headless non debian ARM device ["embedded" again]

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Fri Jan 18 18:41:19 CET 2013

Anton Kavalenka wrote:
> On 18.01.2013 19:25, Michael Schnell wrote:
>> On 01/15/2013 12:01 PM, Thomas Schatzl wrote:
>>> X-servers
>>>
>>> They all are reported to run stock linux. So in the "worst" case, if you
>>> cannot find the prepackaged solutions or don't want to mess with e.g.
>>> Android, just install a debian chroot on them and do an "apt-get install
>>> lazarus" and use NX.
>>
>> Hi Thomas, Mark and others.
>>
>> Another  colleague of mine now has just got the new "big" version of
>> the Raspberry Pi. He reported that he has been  able to just apt-get
>> Lazarus, and it's GUI runs fine in the SSH-remote X server.
>>
>> He did not know right now what the package that provides this remote X
>> is called, but he was rather sure that same had been installed on the
>> RPi from the beginning, and he is positive that it is an apt-get package.
>>
>> So for me a viable task would be to find the apt-get packages
>> necessary to run Lazarus, download them to a PC, extract the necessary
>> files and scripts and try to install them on the QNAP NAS.
> Dear Michael!
>
> Remote X is done using X-forwarding
>
> ssh -X your_name at your_raspberry

-X will frequently be the default when ssh is installed. This is from an
unmodified /etc/ssh/sshd_config on a Squeeze system:

X11Forwarding yes

..and it's definitely in that state at least as far back as Lenny. So
all you have to do is login (if your usernames are consistent a simple
ssh your_rasperry  will suffice) and then run e.g.
/usr/local/share/lazarus/lazarus

In order to suppress debugging messages and make sure that a casual ^C
can't kill your session, I've got a little script /usr/local/bin/QQ
which looks like this

#!/bin/bash
$@ >/dev/null 2>&1 &

So once you've got a shell session via ssh, and assuming you've got a
lazarus binary on your path, all you have to do is  QQ lazarus  and it's
running in exactly the same way as though you had it on your local
desktop: note that the window caption /does/ tell you what machine it's
running on.

There's other ways of doing it, for example with ssh certificates and a
link on your local desktop. Since a high proportion of what I do is via
shell sessions anyway, I've never felt any need to put time into that.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk