[fpc-devel] "embedded" again

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Fri Jan 11 13:26:24 CET 2013

Sven Barth wrote:
> Am 11.01.2013 12:02, schrieb Michael Schnell:
>> On 01/11/2013 11:51 AM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>>> My recollection is that I've had Lazarus running on a "Slug",
>>> including gdb. The important point was that I neither had video
>>> capability on the host, nor did I start up a desktop using vnc,
>>> instead I tunneled Lazarus over ssh and found performance adequate
>>> (taking into account the severely limited memory by today's standards).
>>>
>> In fact I just replaced my old Debian-enabled Slug (plus an USB disk)
>> by the much more powerful  some weeks ago :-) . So now I have the
>> Luxury of a power saving automatically starting and stopping mirrored
>> disk system for my backups :-) :-) .
>>
>> I suppose by "had Lazarus running on a "Slug", including gdb" and
>> "tunneled Lazarus over ssh" you mean remote debugging (running Lazarus
>> on a PC and the gdb stub on the Slug). I don't see what else in
>> Lazarus might support tunneling via SSH. (Please let me know if I am
>> wrong.) Great to hear that this does work.
>
> I suspect that Mark means X11 forwarding, thus running Lazarus on the
> board, but displaying it and interacting with it on a different PC.

Yes, that's right. Alternatively you can run VNC on it (provided that
you've got gdm installed which pulls in enough libraries etc.), but that
tends to be inefficient since much memory will be allocated for the desktop.

Older versions of Lazarus and/or GTK were inefficient mapped over a LAN,
IIRC that was tracked down to excessive keyboard interaction. Related
problems also affected things like Mozilla "big time", this kind of
headless operation is not high on the kernel/X11 developers' priorities
these days.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk