[fpc-devel] utf8 in 2.6.0

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Tue Jan 1 15:24:05 CET 2013

On 01 Jan 2013, at 15:14, Martin wrote:

> On my hardware it is normally all fine, but fails if I add the $codepage. I could spent a lot of work boiling that down to a sample. But given that I couldn't even find the docs what I really should expect,

Without a {$codepage xxx} directive, string constants containing characters > #127 remain exactly as they appear in the source code.

With a {$codepage xxx} directive, string constants containing characters > #127 are converted into unicodestrings during the parsing (according to the specified code page), and converted back into ansistrings (using the "ansi" code page of that particular program run) at run time if they are assigned to ansistring/shortstrings or passed to routines expecting such parameters.

Note that the above is for 2.6.x (as the subject mentions).

Jonas