[fpc-devel] Are x86 optimizations across various platforms shared?

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 11 19:24:02 CET 2013

On 11.02.2013 19:12, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> So this got me wondering. Does FPC compiler optimizations differ between
> FreeBSD and Linux, even for the same CPU type? If so, then the results
> is probably understandable, because there are more Linux developers and
> testers in the Free Pascal project, than for FreeBSD. Thus more working
> going into Linux optimization than for FreeBSD.
>
> If my assumption about FPC optimization is incorrect, then I'm lost for
> ideas why my FreeBSD setup is so much slower than a Linux VM session
> (and contrary to other benchmarks on the net).

AFAIK the optimizations are CPU specific, not OS specific. And in that
case your findings are indeed interesting especially since the Linux
tests were performed in a VM. It could be though (I'm definitely
guessing here) that the FreeBSD release was created with different
optimizer settings than the Linux one (regarding the RTL and packages).
Otherwise I'm as puzzled as you...

Regards,
Sven