[fpc-devel] Image size is too big for target even if external debug file is used

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 5 16:32:52 CET 2013

Hello together!

I have a arm-wince project (using LCL) where I have a stacktrace and I'd
like to resolve the symbol information. As I'm not cross debugging I'm
using an offline (post mortem) process for which I compile my
application with debug information, but also -Xg to get a seperate
symbol file which I can use with GDB. Now the problem is that since the
last time I needed these symbols my application seems to have gotten big
enough that the debug information triggers the "Executable image size
too big for arm-wince target" error.

I'm currently using 2.6.0 on i386-win32. If compiled for i386-win32 the
application's size is 3.7 MB while the debug information size is 42 MB
(the application size for arm-wince is 4.3 MB).

I've looked a bit inside the compiler and shouldn't it be possible and
worthwhile to not raise this error if one is cross compiling and
currently the debug file is generated (the corresponding location is -
in trunk - ogbase.TExeOutput.SetCurMemPos)? Or maybe define a list of
targets where it should be allowed when cross compiling.

Regards,
Sven