[fpc-devel] Encoded AnsiString

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Dec 30 13:59:33 CET 2013

On Mon, 30 Dec 2013, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> In our previous episode, Michael Van Canneyt said:
>> But the "experiments for ansi/unicode RTL" are already in trunk.
>> Do you plan to take them out ?
>>
>> and:
>> What good is having the unicode string support if none of the classes or
>> units make use of it ?
>
> Limited. But 2.8.x is not all about unicode. Still, if you have planned
> time, it might be worth to try it IMHO.

That was my idea.

If it turns out to be really impossible, we can still do as Paul suggests,
but if it works, I would attempt to release 2.8 with dotted units.

In each case, the ground work will be done in a branch, so as not to
irreversibly damage trunk and destroy Paul's dreams :)

Let's see how well I fare; 2.8.0 is not for next month anyway.
First get 2.6.4 out of the door.

Michael.