[fpc-devel] Observer support in Delphi

luiz americo pereira camara luizmed at oi.com.br
Thu Oct 25 01:55:08 CEST 2012

2012/10/24 Graeme Geldenhuys <graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk>

> On 2012-10-24 07:52, michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be wrote:
> > However, given the total lack of documentation, it is hard to say.
>
> +1
>
> I had a look too, the Embarcadero website isn't much help.

First some considerations:

- Initially i questioned the fpc obsever support, now i see as a good
implementation

- I think Delphi compatility important

- We don't have much info about the Delphi implementation since is not
properly documented (i would bet it was introduced to support the Live
Bindings)

When i asked, i did not have any preference of any interface, the only
option that i would have objections was 3 (two implementations) since would
have overlapping features with possible overhead (two observer lists per
component?) at base classes

Given that fpc one is good enough, and Delphi one is at minimal obscure, i
would consider break the "Delphi compatibility/feature parity" and stay
with fpc one. Of course, if the Delphi one shows somehow to be technically
better it's also a option to stay with it. But never the two.

Regarding Delphi compatibility, currently fpc already lacks much features
in areas like attributes, anounimous methods, generics, interfaces, unicode
and some will never land at fpc.

This can be (or not) a start point to depart from playing "Delphi catch up"
at all cost and port only the features that matches the fpc direction
(whatever it is)

Luiz