[fpc-devel] Re: FPC related fairy tale

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 19 15:29:36 CEST 2012

Am 19.10.2012 15:15, schrieb Michael Schnell:
> On 10/19/2012 01:23 PM, Sven Barth wrote:
>>
>> The question is in how far the Fido is compatible with the Motorola CPUs.
> It's nearly 100% code-bit compatible with the 332 (aka CPU32), there are
> some additions to provide multi-threading and power-Management (e.g. the
> "trapx" and "sleep" instructions) and some additional registers
> accessible by the movec instruction to support certain hardware
> features. But there are only very few dropped features: the only I know
> is that the source and destination function code registers do exist but
> have no influence on the hardware,
>
> I don't think that this is relevant to  the compiler.

 From what I can see from your explanation I'd agree. In the end only a
test can tell. As Pierre is already improving M68000 support you might
have more luck today than yesterday ;)

>> Also please keep in mind that currently neither the heap manager nor
>> stdio nor (likely) exceptions are working correctly. I need to address
>> these issues first so that the port becomes fully useable again (as
>> the target is to have again a native m68k-linux compiler).
> Let me know when you want me to do any tests.

Once I'm satisfied myself everyone is welcome to test more complex
programs :)

> For me it would be the easiest way to have fpc compile the Pascal
> sources to  ANSI C gnu compatible object code (*.a files ? ) so that I
> can just link it to an existing ANSI-C project. Here the heap management
> would be done by the GNU C library (or am I wrong ?). But I don't know
> how the FPC RTL comes into play...

It would be easier if you'd use the C code from within FPC code. You
might also circumvent heap manager issues by using the "cmem" unit. But
as I already wrote I'm currently using the user space emulation of QEMU
and with that I don't have the need to find/compile corresponding C
libraries and I'd anyway like to have FPCs normal syscall interface for
Linux working. Also I don't know how well FPC will handle it if I let it
link to libraries as this is not tested yet...

Regards,
Sven