[fpc-devel] calling convention on mac

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Nov 29 10:56:41 CET 2012

On 28 Nov 2012, at 22:23, Carlo Kok wrote:

> The constructor call abi was changed twice (1 or 2 years ago), the
> last change undid the first.

I don't remember that one. Was that across released FPC versions?

> That said, yes, you are right, bugs should be fixed. I'd just like
> to be able to say "it works with all these versions", instead of
> specific ones.

Well, depending on machine level compiler-implementation detail is the
ideal recipe for trouble, no matter how useful the result may be. And
while normally calling convention-related stuff would almost never
change because it would break all interfacing with dynamic libraries
compiled by previous FPC versions, in practice such FPC-compiled
libraries are (fortunately) not in widespread distribution or use and
hence we can still fix such bugs.

External review or rigorous testing of the calling convention code in
all possible scenarios could also help with getting everything fixed
in one release, instead of piecemeal one change at a time.

Jonas