[fpc-devel] CrossCompiling :: Windows -> Linux/MIPS

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Fri Nov 2 13:30:58 CET 2012

SkyDiablo wrote:

>> But a couple of days ago I sent him a binary of a "do-nothing"
>> program, and via mail he tells me that
>>
>> -----8<-----
>> # chmod +x donothing
>> # ./donothing
>> -bash: ./donothing: cannot execute binary file
>>
>> # chmod +x test
>> # ./test
>> -bash: ./test: cannot execute binary file
>>
>> i think i have a big endian system...
>> ----->8-----
>>
>> Would an empty program give this error if it were an FP issue (and for
>> test purposes, can it be compiled so as not to)? Since he's got a
>> working C compiler I pointed him at a program that somebody'd written
>> to check endianness, but have had no response. Also he's not run  FPC
>> -i to check what the compiler thinks it is or run  file  on some of
>> the systems's own binaries.
>>

> i have answerd your email, your binaries are for MIPSel, my system is a
> MIPS system, big endien. so thats invald binary.

You said you thought you might have, but you didn't confirm it: you
didn't run the test program I pointed you at, or run the  file  command
on e.g. your system's copy of ld. Also we don't know whether that
toolchain you're using targets mipsel or mipseb. And the only thing
you've said in this list is that you thought it was a floating point
problem.

My Qemu/mipsel system is currently acting up; I've still not got a
big-endian system running here, but would hope to have one in a few
days. Could anybody comment on the preparedness of the MIPS port for
tweak for mipseb: it looks to me as though it's mostly RTL stuff.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk